Thursday, April 28, 2011

Author Interview: Courtney Cole


Today I have a brilliant treat for my followers, an author interview with Courtney Cole.



Hi Courtney, and thanks for stopping by the blog for an interview!


First of all tell us a bit about yourself?
Hi! Thanks for allowing me to be here.
I was born and raised in Kansas—which is right smack in the middle of the US. It’s the home of very friendly people and the worst weather on the planet. Since summers were so hot, I spent most of my summer days reading stacks of books. When I didn’t like how one ended, I just wrote my own. And that’s how I discovered that I was a writer.

I graduated from Indiana Wesleyan University with a Bachelor’s degree in Business. But I’ve never managed to like working in the corporate world half as much as I love writing.

Your debut novel, Every Last Kiss hasn’t long been released. How do you feel about seeing it out in the world?
Oh, gosh. It’s terrifying. I am a very calm person, but when I saw that it was live on Amazon, I almost had a panic attack. Just knowing it was out there in the world for people to love... or hate was really scary. But I’m getting used to it.

How long did it take you to write Every Last Kiss?
I think it took me around five months or so... but a good chunk of that time was spent researching. A lot.

The book is set mainly in ancient Egypt, what made you use that setting?
I’ve always been fascinated with ancient Egyptian culture. But one day, when I was thinking about random nothingness (no, that’s probably not a word, but I like it anyway), I started thinking about fate. And then I started thinking about the people who had tragic lives that would probably change their fate if they could. And that’s how I arrived at Cleopatra.

What kind of research was involved for the historical side for the book?
A lot of it. Hours and hours of devouring everything about Cleopatra that I could get my hands on. I think I know everything there is to know about her at this point...

What was the inspiration behind the character of Macy Lockhart/Charmian?
Well, I knew that I needed a modern element so that I could hold my readers attention. So, I thought.... You know what would be interesting ? If someone from the present was dropped into ancient Egypt. And that’s how the idea for Macy came about.

How did you come up with the idea of The Order of Moirae?
I dug into mythology a bit. Another name for the Fates is the Moirae. So, I played with it and twisted the story of the Fates around just a little and came up with the Order of the Moirae.


Since the book is called Every Last Kiss (The Bloodline saga) I’m asuming there is going to be a sequel? Please say there is- you can’t leave us with that ending!
There is definitely going to be a sequel. In fact, I’m working on it right now. But I can’t give you any hints....

What are you reading right now?
I just started Ethereal by Addison Moore. And so far, it’s really good. I was drawn to it because it is about angels- and my book, Guardian, which comes out in July is also about angels. And demons .

Do you have a favourite book that you read over and over again?
I’ve read ”The Five People you Meet in Heaven” by Mitch Albom probably a million times. I love that little book. And I love Mitch Albom. Everything he touches is magic.

Do you have any advice for budding authors out there that may be trying to get their work published?
Write what you want to write- don’t write what you think is hot right now. What’s hot right this second, probably won’t still be hot when you’re finished writing your book.

Thank you so much for your time today Courtney and I hope you stop by the blog again soon!
Thank you so much for having me. I’ll definitely be back soon!

I am currently hosting a giveaway for an e-copy of Every Last Kiss, want to be in with a chance of winning? Then head over to the giveaway page!

2 comments:

  1. I love this interview for two reasons. One: Historical fiction (or elements thereof). I am simply in awe of people that can research those minute details & get it right. It is a daunting task I've yet to tackle.
    Two: "write what you love, not what's hot right now." SO TRUE. I blog about that all the time. It's a big issue for me.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs