Monday, May 9, 2011

Author Interview: Veronica E. Kelly

As part of the Indie Spotlight month over at Nightly Reading I have a lovely treat for all my followers. An interview with author Veronica E. Kelly.

Hi Veronica, and thanks for stopping by the blog for an interview! Before we start on the book discussions do you mind telling us a little bit about yourself?

Sure. I was born and raised in Chicago, IL. I love my hometown. I actually packed up my belongings (car included) and moved to Atlanta, Ga. Needless to say that didn't last too long because here I am back in the windy city, lol. Something else interesting...I have a twin brother. I'm sure he was the second reason I moved back home, I missed my family. I attended Columbia College Chicago and graduated with a Fiction Writing degree. The funny thing is I started out as a poetry major and then I thought, “What the hell am I going to do with a degree in poetry?” So I switched majors and I’m glad I did. I love poetry though, so no offence to anyone majoring in Poetry. I just assumed Fiction Writing was a “broader” field. My favourite ice cream is Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey, just thought I’d throw that in there. I hope that makes me cool, lol.

Your debut novel Don’t Tell Your Cousin, hasn’t long been released. How do feel about about seeing it out in the world?

Oh my goodness, I'm still trying to take it all in. I’m excited and I just want readers to enjoy the story. It’s nothing like putting your craft out there for the world to see. And while I hope everyone will enjoy it I know there will be those that don’t. But I'm grateful nonetheless. I finally feel like I made something of myself. I also feel like this is just the beginning and I have a long (and I emphasize long) way to go. I thank everyone for the love and support. I remember saying to some friends, “If I just sold one copy of my novel, I’d be so happy!” I'm so excited when someone who has read it tells me they enjoyed it. That makes me feel so overjoyed because I think that’s what really counts.

Tell us a bit more about the book?

Well the novel is a twisted love triangle involving two cousins and a married man. It’s loads of drama. I think anyone could relate to the story. Everyone knows some scandulous, low down women and an asshole of a man (can I say asshole?). The e-book is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and on paperback from createspace.

How long did it take you to write Don’t Tell Your Cousin?

I want to say it took me a total of a year to complete. That includes edits and rewrites, and being nervous to send it out. It was more so learning to discipline myself to sit down and write and not procrastinate with writing and finishing the story.

How did you come up with the idea for the book?

I had no idea what the book was going to be about. I don’t plan stories. I just let them create themselves. Even I was suprised at some of the events that took place in the story, like “Did she really just do that?” Once I wrote the first sentence I just let it flow from there. I think outlines take away from my creativity. I didn’t want to force or really plan anything, I just wanted it all to happen naturally.

Was there any inspiration for the charcters from real life people?

I can’t say that there was. I really didn’t have anyone in mind. I think I just let the characters invent themselves. I didn’t really have to draw from real life people.

Are you working on anything new just now?

I haven’t started working on anything new yet. I don’t want to rush anything. I wanted to take it all in and learn from this novel. However, I am excited and looking forward to starting my next novel. I’ll start working on it really soon.

What made you decide to self-publish?

The funny thing is I had already sent out a manuscript to a publisher, never once considering the thought of self-publishing. Then one morning I was online browsing and I ran across an article about an author named Amanda Hocking on Forbes. I think it’s important to mention that I wasn’t an avid reader of Forbes nor did I have any idea that Amanda Hocking existed. As soon as I finshed reading the article and did a little research on e-books I knew this was it. I think I actually said “This is it, this is what I want to do!” aloud. I no longer cared if the manuscript I had submitted two weeks prior to a publisher was rejected. In fact I didn’t even wait for a rejection letter. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that strongly about a decision I made. I knew there was a reason I stumbled upon that article. I’m glad I did. I love the fact that I have more control over my work.

Are you hoping to publish your book with a big publishing comany in the future?

Right now, no. I don’t really think about it that much. I enjoy the freedom that self-publishing allows. I can’t say that I wouldn’t give traditional publishing a chance, but right now I’m loving self-publishing.

Do you read other self-publish author’s works?

I do. It’s some great work out there that gets overlooked everyday. I feel sorry for all of the publishers and readers who miss out.

Is there anything specific you would like to achieve in the future with your writing?

Yes. I’d like to become better and better at it. I want to reach a variety of readers. I want people to always look forward to reading my next book. I want readers to love my stories so much that they don’t want a book to end.

Do you have advice for budding authors out there who are concidering self publishing?

I say do what works for you and go with what you feel. If you’re ecxited about something, you’ll make a way to do what your heart desires.

Thank you so much for your time today Veronica!

Thanks for having me!

Want to be in with a chance of winning an e-copy of Don't Tell Your Cousin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs