Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review: The Folk Keeper - Franny Billingsley



Name: The Folk Keeper

Author: Franny Billingsley

General Release Date: 4th April 2011

Date I finished reading it: 18th June 2011

Type: Paperback

From: Review copy from publishers (Bloomsbury)

My Rating: 3/5 stars




First of all I want to say a massive thank you to the lovely people at Bloomsbury for sending me a copy of this book to read!

This book follows the story of 15 year old orphan Corrina who has been disguising herself as a boy and has also managed to pass herself off as a Folk Keeper. One day she is summoned to a dying old man who is looking for Corrina, still passing herself off as a boy she agrees to go with him as the new Folk Keeper for his estate.

But things are not what they seem and when she gets to the estate she realises these Folk are different than what she is used too. There are lots of secrets surrounding the estate as well and Corrina must figure it out before it is too late.

I did enjoy this book, it is a historical fiction book and is told in first person through Corrina's diary entries. I liked the way the book was presented in the diary entries, it broke up the chapters quite nicely and made it easier to read.

There is a romance element to the book as well, which I really enjoyed. The romance isn't too much, and doesn't take over the whole plot line, it's like an added little extra.

I did get quite confused when I first picked up the book, I would have liked a bit more explanation as to who the Folk are. After finishing the book however I like that you aren't told and it is left up to your own imagination to think up what the Folk are like.

Overall a short but gripping historical read with a paranormal twist to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs