Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: Deception (Haunting Emma #1) - Lee Nichols



Name: Deception (Haunting Emma #1)

Author: Lee Nichols

General Release Date: 5th September 2011

Date I finished it: 15th August 2011

Type: Paperback

From: Review Copy from Publishers

My Rating: 4/5 stars




I was very kindly sent a copy of Deception to read and review from Bloomsbury. I hadn't even heard anything about this book at all, but after I read the blurb I wanted to get started with it right away as it sounded really good!

Deception follows teenager Emma who is left on her own while her parents go away on a business trip. This isn't really anything new to Emma, it happens quite a lot so she doesn't really think much about it.
But after she doesn't hear from them for weeks and strange things start happening at home Emma is taken to live with her older brother's friend Bennett in New England until someone can contact her parents. While she is there Emma attends an elite private school and lives in an old mansion which has been turned into a museum.

While living there however there are a few things that seem to go bump in the night and Emma is having some strange visions and memories of being in this place before that she can't quite explain.

I really enjoyed Deception after about 50 pages in I was hooked on the story line and the characters.
I really enjoyed Nichols' writing style I found it easy to follow and understand. There is some great descriptive work in the book as well, which made feel like I was right in the middle of all the action. The characters are well developed and I enjoyed all the funny little conversations in Latin (with the translations of course!).

This was the first ghost book I have ever read and it really did not disappoint, I really loved the storyline, especially all the history details that went into the back story. Emma is a great main character (of course she is - she shares my name), this is a series I will definitely be sticking to!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one, I really liked this one too! And I agree Emma was a great main character - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one around, but it sounds good! It's been awhile since I read a ghost story.
    Good review! Will add to TBR list...

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs