Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: Life Eternal (Dead Beautiful #2) - Yvonne Woon



Name: Life Eternal (Dead Beautiful 2)

Author: Yvonne Woon

General Release Date: 24th Feb 2012 (US Release Date)

Date I finished it: 24th October 2011

Type: E-Book

From: Review Copy

My Rating: 5/5 stars





I was so excited to get a copy of Life Eternal from NetGalley to review, just after I finished Dead Beautiful as well, talk about perfect timing!
I was really excited to read this one as it's not out till February next year in the US and it doesn't have a UK release date yet!

Life Eternal pretty much picks up right where we left Renee in Dead Beautiful, after all the tragic events that happened at Gotfried, the school is now closed to everyone except the Undead.
Renee is shipped off to Lycée St Clement's in Montreal, which is a school solely for Monitors. Although ever since Dante gave Renee her soul back, something just hasn't been feeling right to Renee. She still has no appetite, no sense of smell and she looks much older almost overnight.

At Lycée St Clement's Renee faces some new problems, not only does she have to face a new school full of people who think she is immortal and somehow survived death, but she also has to find away to sneak in some Dante time. Which is almost impossible with a town full of Monitors! She is also having some strange visions, that seemed to be triggered by her new surroundings.
And as if that wasn't enough to deal with, Renee is still searching for a way of helping Dante prolong what is left of his life.

While searching she comes across the legend of the nine sisters, who apparently found a way to cheat death and vowed to take the secret to their graves with them.
Eight of the sisters were all murdered, presumably by the Undead. The ninth sister was never named in any documents or ever found. It is this sister Renee decides to try to track down.

Firstly, let me just say I loved all the French bits in this book. I really used to love French, but it took a bit of a back seat to Spanish while I was a university. So reading all the French names and streets in this book really started to bring everything back to me!
I loved the fact that this book was set in an entirely different place from Gotfried. To me Dead Beautiful taught me all about the Undead, and Life Eternal taught me all about the Monitors.

The story itself is full of twists and turns that kept me gripped to the edge of my seat! I had no clue what was going to happen in this book, every page just seemed full of more and more mystery. I actually read this book in one day, I was completely hooked on it from page one!

There are a few new characters in this book, some of them I grew to love as I got to the end of the book. 
I really liked Noah, he seemed like a really nice boy and if Dante wasn't in the picture I could really picture him and Renee together.

The legend of the nine sisters was well planned out, looking back, as the story unfolds you can see that the reader is given a small hint here and there. At the time you are too wrapped up in the Renee and Dante story that you don't even realise it's a clue until you reach the end of the book!
The plot itself is amazing, although very different to that in Dead Beautiful I think that it works well with this new setting.

Ugh the ending. All I can say is I hope the actual book has an ending, because this ARC didn't.
I had to go back and read the last few paragraphs three times before I realised there is actually no ending. The book just stops! I really don't even understand what happened in the last paragraph, it just stopped! Big disappointment to me, but at least I'm pretty sure now that there will be a third book, Yvonne Woon can't just leave it like that. Although I'll probably have to wait till 2013 for it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs