Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review: The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus

Rating: 5/5 stars

The Night Circus is a book that seemed to pop up everywhere I looked online, but one the I had never really heard much about. It seemed to just magically appear almost overnight. If you have read the book you will realize that the book seemed to appear just the way the circus in the book does!
I had some extra audible.com credits and decided to go ahead and purchase the audio book of The Night Circus to give it a try, I was also super excited to find out Jim Dale was reading the book. For those of you not in the know, Jim Dale read the Harry Potter audio books and personally I will to listen to anything he reads, he does the best voices I've ever heard! After listening to the first few chapters of the book I ended up buying the UK Hardback as well, I fell so madly in love with it!

The picture above is the US book cover, which I prefer to the UK one. Although I have to admit the UK hardback is still the prettiest book I own, and probably ever will.

The book does jump from different characters and time lines, I do sometimes have difficulties trying to remember the different characters and plots, especially when I've not picked up the book for a day or two. With The Night Circus I had no problems what so ever. Perhaps that was because I was listening to it on audio so all the different characters had different voices. It's hard to pin point exactly what The Night Circus is actually about, as there is so many interconnected plots and characters woven throughout the book. What I will say is that even though there is so much going on, Morgenstern does an amazing job of tying everything and everyone back to the circus in their own way.

The story itself is completely one of kind and like nothing I have ever read before. Even though the essence of the book is following a travelling circus around the world, the circus itself and it's performers are the same which help to keep the main plot grounded.

I really can't say too much more without giving away any of the plot, which I am trying my hardest not to do.
Overall it is an amazing book with great, lifelike and loveable characters, awesome twisty plot lines and just enough magic and sparkle to leave you questioning yourself. I would highly recommend this book to all book lovers, not just YA book lovers.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe I still haven't read this one especially since it's just sitting there on my shelf. Poor thing! It sounds great though I'm really intrigued and I usually really enjoyed multiple perspectives. Great review Emma!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you mention how it's not just for YA, but the Night Circus is not a teen book. It's adult fiction. I went to a book signing and was curious enough to ask Morgenstern why she is often lumped with YA (for instance she was at comicon with Veronica Roth and another YA author). She didn't know, but thinks it's great. I liked the book and can't wait to see what she does in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received this as a Christmas RAK yesterday! I'm so excited to read it, it's ridiculous. I think I'm going to save it for Christmas Eve and curl up with a blanket and a hot chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. It's one I did find sometimes confusing but worth it. Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    @fangswandsfairy
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost through reading it. It's fantastic thus far. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs